Multi-material molding or two-shot molding is a young technology in the United States, however it has been popular in Europe for many years. Master Precision Mold Technology is one of only a handful of mold-making companies who have the expertise to truly help custom molders venture into this high-precision technology. We have been designing two-shot parts and making molds that produce them for over 20 years.
- In-mold assembly—by consolidation of several parts into one molded part, the need for costly secondary assembly is removed.
- Durability of graphics—while painted or printed graphics wear quickly, two-shot graphics are virtually indelible— as permanent as the part itself.
- Improved customer appeal—Soft-touch grips (the largest growth sector of two-shot molding) improves the perceived quality of any product.
- Part Design — Parts must be specifically designed for the two-shot process. MPMT can save you money on the project when consulted early in part design.
- Material Selection — If the two materials need to chemically bond, they must be carefully selected. Shrink rates, processing temperature, and viscosity of both materials need to be perfect for one another, as well as for the final part.
- Production Method — The first show part must get into position before the second-shot material is injection molded over it. MPMT will help you through the selection process to find the machine configuration that best suits your production needs.
- The Mold Supplier — It has been said many times that you can run good parts in a poor mold on the very best press. This cannot be further from the truth in the business of molding two-shot parts. Molding two parts simultaneously and making them fit perfectly together is an insurmountable task for most mold shops.
Download White Paper:
Two-Shot White Paper from Gary Bowen – General Manager of MPMT↓
Master Precision Mold Technology can do this and more. Our twenty years of experience are your advantage over the competition. While they are working with their supplier to build two-shot molds, you will be getting all the answers that will steer your project to a successful launch. We sample and run parts on all of our molds before they leave our shop, so your launch is as smooth as possible. If you need guaranteed success in your upcoming two-shot part program, you need Master Precision Mold Technology on your team. Please call for a feasibility study on your project.